Friday, August 19, 2011

Wizardry I


After completing Breath of Fire 3, I decided to start another classic RPG - Wizardry 1, with the aim of completing 1 through to 5.  I have previously played 1 a few times, first on the Commodore 64 (never finished), then on a old Powermac (completed), and more recently the PC version (completed a couple of years ago). 

I've never started 2, 3, 4 or 5, so am looking forward to them. 

After researching the various versions, many people seem to report that the SNES version is the superior one, so I'm playing that one on an emulator running on my PSP.



Character creation, went for a party of 2 fighters, 1 thief, 1 bishop, 1 cleric and one mage.



The dungeon proper.  Looks a lot nicer on this version than the DOS one I remember.  So far am not really noticing any differences that matter, just a few little ones, like the @ sign next to Balno above, this signifies that he has enough experience to gain a level.


A terrifying encounter with some skeletons.  Combat at low levels is brutal, you have to make sure you keep a few steps away from the stairs until you have gained a few levels.... 


... or this happens.


I seem to remember that spell points are regained automatically in the PC version when you return to town, however in the snes version, you are required to sleep at an inn to get them back.  I wonder if this will affect aging by the time I complete the game(s) or whether they are short enough that it doesn't matter.

I had a minor set back, when my lawful cleric got changed to evil when I attacked a group of friendly monsters ( by accident I swear, I just got a bit carried away hitting the NEXT button and ended up in combat! ).  This means he can't journey with the rest of the group, and I have retired him and created a new one.

I plan to have a few spare characters which I can use for rescue missions in the dungeon (if your whole party is wiped out in the dungeon, their bones remain there for you to discover and bring back to town for resurrection later.)


No comments:

Post a Comment